Fads pop up in the craft world from time to time--here is a current one. Pennant banners--everyone's making them. I did too, recently, as a gift for my dear friend Deborah when she got married.
I like the idea of a fabric party decoration that you could use year after year. It won't fall apart like those foil "H-A-P-P-Y--B-I-R-T-H-D-A-Y" letter banners, or rip and be thrown away like crepe paper. Lots of people spell words with their pennant banners, but I like them without. I feel assaulted by text everywhere I turn these days, so I kept mine plain.
I made my own bias tape for this project, after which I learned there is actually a tool just for making bias tape. I cut the triangles with pinking shears and sewed two of them together. I put loops with a snap on either end so they can hang on many things--tree branches, hooks, deer head wall mount antlers...
(if I owned some of these, I might hang them today for my half-birthday, which only my mother and the aforementioned Deborah acknowledge :) :) ).

0 comments:
Post a Comment