It was all yellow.

Last spring I found a neat Guatemalan skirt at a free market in my neighborhood. It was a long, 100% cotton wrap skirt with real embroidery-- just what I like. There were two problems, however. 

1. There were a few bleach spots on different areas of the skirt.
2. The color of the skirt was goldenrod. A rusty, loud, dark yellow.

I let it hang in my closet for several months, but then decided I must either give it away or salvage it somehow. So, I tried dying it. I used RIT Denim Blue liquid dye because I had it on hand. (At the same time I revived some jeans that I have worn and loved since sophomore year of college that have lost a lot of blue in so many washings).  I figured yellow + blue would give me green. In the dye water the skirt appeared to be brown and I thought it was a lost cause. However, upon drying it turned an interesting shade of green.
 The bleach spots have also been hidden pretty well by the dye. So, perhaps I'll kick around in it next summer after giving it a good ironing.
I love real embroidery!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates