One year ago, I did some experimenting with making my own toothpaste...or perhaps I should say my own "dentifrice," since it was a far cry from paste. I mixed a bit of salt and baking soda in a glass jar, and scooped a little on my brush to use. Apparently my grandfather used to do this. Anyway, that didn't do my breath any favors, so I quit and went back to store-bought paste.
I'd been using Tom's of Maine for quite some time. Then I ran across a sale, so I tried Burt's Bees...
I liked this quite a bit, although the only way I could justify $5 for a mere 4 ounces was that a free lip balm was included in the package. The one downside was that the side of the tube split before I was through using it--paste would ooze out onto my counter while I was sleeping. Now, my sister will testify that I don't squeeze the tube the "right" way, but this has never happened to me before.
Recently I tried Trader Joe's store brand:
This was far less expensive than Burt's Bees or Tom's of Maine--close to $2. It is a pretty firm paste--it takes effort to squeeze some out--and it's definitely reminiscent of my homemade baking-soda paste with hints of salt. It's a step up from homemade, but still doesn't leave my breath a dream of peppermint.
Having used less chemically-laden pastes for awhile means that using conventional pastes is kind of a shocking experience--the "freshness" is a little too severe. All of these store-bought pastes still have things that probably aren't great for my oral health according to Weston Price, but for now I need a happy medium.
8 months ago


0 comments:
Post a Comment