Gluten-intolerance abounds these days, and real foodies are going grain-free for other reasons. I never had much interest in turning away from grain (and still don't), but today I came across a recipe for
Delightfully Delicious No-Bake Cookie Dough Balls which calls for almond flour and coconut flour. I had neither, and was not inclined to venture into the cold, dark night to go to the corner grocery. So, I looked up tutorials for making them.
First I made coconut flour. I had unsweetened coconut flakes in the cupboard from back in the days when I still made granola.
I just put 1 cup of it into 4 cups of water, and brought it to a boil.
After letting it cool a bit, I whirled in through the blender a bit.
Then I strained it through a tea-towel. That was a little laborious, but not bad.
I scraped the coconut solids off the towel onto a baking sheet and have them in the oven on 200 until they seem dry. (Then I'll pulverize 'em again). I'm not quite sure why I couldn't just pulverize the normal dry flakes, but I'm not going to deviate from the directions these grain-free experts give me!

I also got a got a quart of coconut milk out of this deal. Maybe I'll make some granola to eat it with!
Then, I made some
almond flour. It's terribly easy.
I just put a cup of whole almond into the BlendTec, and pulsed it about 4 times.
I'd probably pulse this once more the get rid of the bigger pieces.
Okay, tomorrow will bring some cookie balls. Yes!
2 comments:
You might like these (I'm a big fan): http://www.thekitchn.com/cookie-recipe-lifechanging-veg-134691
Thanks, Andrea! My last year of college I had a vegan roommate and she loved to make these. I didn't have the recipe though.
Post a Comment