Breaking Bread.

At my new workplace--a group home--unspoiled food gets thrown away all the time. It kills me. When I opened the wastebasket lid to see a loaf of perfectly good, untouched sourdough bread tonight, I was aghast. Luckily, I was able to rescue the rejected loaf and make bread crumbs.

A Jamaican woman in my Bible study said that in her home country, one would never throw away even the smallest bit of bread, because it's considered a holy thing. (I think because bread represents the body of Christ). Even if it's moldy, you scrape the mold off, stick in the broiler to crisp, and dip it in your tea.

To make crumbs, I layed the slices of bread out on baking sheets and left them in the oven at 200 degrees until they were crisp and dry (probably about 2 hours).

Then, I broke them into smaller pieces (like large croutons) and used a blender to whirl them to a fine powder. A resident and I will be using the end product to make eggplant parmesan next week. :)

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Decent bread in the trash? eek!

I love bread crumbs on homemade mac and cheese.

My DIY thing as of late has been smoothies. Love them! They are how I sneak fruit into Miles.

Amber said...

I made bread crumbs like that before. I used the slicer/shredder attachment on my KitchenAid Mixer. It's fun. I made Parmesan Chicken.

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates