Concords: Conquered.

Growing season is wrapping up, and our last bunch of Concord grapes from Plow Creek Farm were languishing in the refrigerator. Grapes with seeds are more labor intensive than seedless and always seem to stick around longer! So, today I made grape juice following the Simply-In-Season recipe.

My housemate sterilized some jars.
I threw a cup of grapes into a quart-size jar.

Then, I added 1/2 cup sugar to the jar, and filled it to the top with boiling water. It was recommended to put a metal utensil in to absorb the heat and keep glass from shattering.


I stirred it up a little, put lids on, watched the water become purple, and waited for the "pop" that signaled my juice was truly canned. I'll have to strain out the grapes later, but now I can store this unrefrigerated. Canning is the best idea. Someday, I'll become learned in this skill.

It tastes okay. I'd put less sugar in next time.

1 comments:

Andrea said...

My mom used to do a lot of canning. We did homemade jelly for wedding favors when my brother got married. She canned him a bunch of green beans for a present last Christmas, which he loved.

I'm trying to convince her to try canning green bean casserole.

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates