Bumper Sticker Brain Food.

Today I saw a bumper sticker that got my attention.

"The more you know,
    the less you need."

This could be interpreted many ways, but I like to think of it in terms of "relearning the wheel"--if we can learn to do more things for ourselves, we'll rely less and less on purchased products and services. I've found this true in my experimenting--as I make more of my own...toiletry items, for example, there are large swathes of big box/chain stores that no longer have anything to offer me. I find that exciting.

In this verbal vein, I'm partial to the popular More-With-Less Cookbook, compiled by a Mennonite woman whose philosophy was that simple living is not deprivation, but in fact yields more enjoyment. Tonight I made a recipe from this book which I highly recommend: Quick Fruit Cobbler. Prepared brainlessly in 5 minutes, baked in 40, with so few ingredients I have it memorized, and surprisingly delicious!

1. Mix together:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2. Pour into square baking dish.
3. Add 2 cups chopped fruit (anything but oranges--tonight I used prune plums, apples, and a banana.)
4. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Design in CSS by TemplateWorld and sponsored by SmashingMagazine
Blogger Template created by Deluxe Templates